Every day we come to work with Jim Valvano’s inspiring words in mind: “Don’t give up . . . Don’t ever give up!”® It’s this attitude that gets us a little bit closer to achieving his dream of victory over cancer every day.
That dream requires an extraordinary team. And an extraordinary team deserves an equally amazing environment. It’s why we’ve worked so hard to create a workplace that attracts and retains a diverse group of passionate, committed and talented individuals. We offer competitive salaries, an employee-friendly organization and a comprehensive benefits package.
If you’d like to join our team and help achieve victory over cancer, we encourage you to apply.
Current Openings at the V Foundation:
California/Western Region Sr. Philanthropic Gift Officer (1/01/2017)
The V Foundation is looking for a dynamic, experienced professional to cultivate, solicit and steward major and planned gifts from individuals and families in the western region of the U.S., specifically based in either the Bay area or Silicon Valley to cover California and western territory. The ideal candidate will have experience and success in raising gifts at the $25,000 – $1 million+ levels, to work with key stakeholders across the Foundation to build high-level donor relationships aimed at six- and seven-figure gifts from this geographic area. This position reports to the Chief Revenue Officer, with a strong and integral partnership with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit, and steward donors at the $25,000 – $1 million+ level, meeting activity metrics and revenue goals.
- Integrate fully onto the team – adding strategic value to the existing major gift efforts. Help to lead a deeper and more expanded major gift program in assigned markets.
- Build and manage a portfolio of 100-125 qualified major gift donors and prospects.
- Proactive prospecting, relationship building and networking to build the portfolio and strengthen the pipeline of major gift donors and prospects.
- Prepare written materials such as visit strategies/briefings, correspondence, solicitation/proposal and pledge documents.
- Maintain strong and accurate records of activities, as directed by team protocol using the national database. Monitor, evaluate, and report on progress and outcomes against agreed upon goals.
- Respond to major and planned gift leads moved to you for follow-up. Work proactively in each community to network and expand portfolio.
- Contribute to the national major and planned gift team as the V Foundation continues to build and expand major and principal gifts.
- Adhere to professionalism and fundraising best practices as demonstrated by moves management industry standards and donor-centered methodology.
- Handle other major and planned gift responsibilities as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree required. CFRE or advanced degree a plus.
- Demonstrated success in personal cultivation, solicitation, stewardship and closing of major gifts at the five-figure and particularly six-figure and above levels.
- 3-5 years minimum required experience in major gift fundraising, 5-7 years preferred.
Internships at the V Foundation for Cancer Research provide opportunities to become familiar with, and actively contribute to, the inner workings of a cancer research nonprofit. They offer a challenging learning experience and promote awareness of nonprofit careers. Students gain valuable experience working at the V Foundation, and they may be able to earn educational credits for their work.
We have placement opportunities in the following departments:COMMUNICATIONS DEPARTMENT
Interns with our Communications Department participate in ongoing initiatives and projects (summer projects include: printed newsletter, monthly eNews, Team V, etc.). Duties could include: planning, research, interview preparation, article writing, proofreading, email data analysis and assistance in Team V promotions. Interns also assist with social media planning and posting and attend meetings for planning communications strategies.Development Department
The Development Intern will work with the Development Department to assure the growth and enhancement of the organization’s fundraising efforts. They also help promote a donor-centered approach within the entire organization. The Development Intern will do this by focusing on assistance with analytics, communicating with donors and fundraising projects.FUNDRAISING & EVENTS DEPARTMENT
The Events Intern is responsible for implementing the community events strategy, maintaining current community programs and providing support to the event organizers. This intern will also work closely with the Director of Corporate and Market Development to execute a revamped workforce development program.
An internship is a wonderful way to explore the world of a philanthropic organization and to learn about the passion that goes into the work we do. Interested in what it’s like interning at the V Foundation? Read the following reflections from some of our previous interns.
Development, Spring 2016
“Interning with the V Foundation this semester has been an absolutely wonderful opportunity. Besides acquiring relevant experience in the non-profit world, my favorite part about my internship was being able to see the projects I worked on be put to use in the V Foundation’s real-world publications—there is no feeling more rewarding than knowing that the work you do as an intern is truly valued. I am so thankful not only to have been able to work in such a passionate and positive environment, but also to have made so many invaluable connections with all of the genuine and dedicated people here at the V Foundation.”
Social Media, Spring 2014
“The passion and enthusiasm of the V Foundation team is infectious. It has been such a rewarding experience to work with a group who is so united around their cause and truly excited about the work they are doing. As an intern at the V Foundation, I have gained invaluable hands-on experience working on campaigns and with nationwide community groups that I wouldn’t have gotten elsewhere. I am thankful to have been involved in the work of an organization that does so much good.”
Anne Clark Hathaway
Community Events, Spring 2014
“I am so grateful for the time I have been able to spend at the V Foundation. I have learned so much and felt very involved in daily operations.”
Corporate & Market Development, Spring 2014
“Being an intern for the V Foundation for Cancer Research has been such a rewarding experience. I’ve had the opportunity to work with the V Foundation’s endurance sports training program, where I was able to experience all aspects of event planning and fundraising. Knowing the work that I did has an impact on moving us forward into a cancer-free future is an amazing feeling!”
Communications, Spring 2014
“My time with the V Foundation has been hands-down my favorite intern experience. Not only am I reminded every day that the work I do is going towards ending cancer, but the people here are a truly wonderful and dedicated group who value their interns like nowhere else I’ve seen. I’ve gained a lot of experience, added to my portfolio and have had the work I do personally get used in the real world for an incredible cause.”
Corporate & Market Development, Summer 2013 & Spring 2014
“I have had the opportunity of interning for the V Foundation for two semesters and have had so many fulfilling experiences. Through these experiences, I’ve been able to work on some amazing projects with amazing people. Cancer has been prevalent in my family, so I am proud to intern with such a great foundation that works to eliminate all types of cancer.”
Graphics Design, Fall 2013
“Being an intern at the V Foundation was an incredible opportunity, allowing me to give back a little bit and help create visual awareness for cancer research. As a graphic design intern, I was able to create some meaningful pieces that were shared on the web, in magazines and through social media. I truly treasured my semester at the V Foundation!”
Communications, Summer 2013; Social Media, Fall 2013
“My time at the V Foundation was truly irreplaceable. I consider myself so fortunate to have had the opportunity to gain invaluable experience in an environment surrounded by my greatest teachers and my biggest fans. How lucky to learn and grow with those who reflect the very values of the organization for which they work. I expected to walk away with new skills and experiences, but the V Foundation gave me something greater than the words on my resume. The V Foundation for Cancer Research gave me the inspiration and encouragement to reach higher, work harder and truly believe in the endless possibilities when you, “Don’t give up . . . Don’t ever give up!”®
Community Events, Summer 2013 & Fall 2013
“Interning at the V Foundation for Cancer Research was one of the best decisions I have made to prepare for a career in the athletic fundraising industries. The experience I acquired while serving as the Community Events Coordinator provided me the opportunity to improve my customer service skills, enhance my knowledge of the fundraising and event-planning process and collaborate with organizations on the corporate and national level. The internship was an exceptional experience because of the opportunities provided and the supportive atmosphere. I miss the staff immensely, but am happy we have kept in touch.”
Communications and Community Events, 2009
“Interning at the V Foundation provided such a well-rounded experience for my future. I was able to learn and utilize critical communication skills, organize events with their amazing supporters and network with some of the biggest names in sports—all while working for such a wonderful cause!”
Communications and Community Events, 2008
“I had such a great time working with everyone at the V Foundation! Working to build the grassroots fundraising programs at towns and universities across the country, annual event planning (Rides and Racquets for Research) with Sherrie Mazur and assisting with the Jimmy V Celebrity Golf Tournament were all experiences that I will never forget.”
INTERNSHIP INFORMATION & REQUIREMENTS
Our interns work with us during Spring, Summer and Fall semesters. Like our full-time employees, they each have a passion for saving lives by achieving victory over cancer.
- V Foundation staff review application materials, and finalists are contacted for interviews.
- Final candidates will be contacted for interviews within approximately six weeks after deadline.
- Final decisions are typically made within 4-6 weeks after that.
- The number and frequency of internships available varies from department to department.
- A department may be unable to offer an internship for a particular semester, for varying reasons, even after an opening has been posted online. You will be notified if your chosen department is not able to offer an internship.
Interns must be available to work from 10 to 32 hours per week with flexible schedules. Refer to the individual department descriptions for hourly commitments.
To qualify for an internship, applicants must have completed four semesters of college with a 3.0 average on a 4.0 scale. Graduate students and recent college graduates are encouraged to apply.
Some colleges give credit for internships. Students are responsible for making arrangements with their schools to receive credit.
ALL INTERNSHIPS ARE UNPAID
Questions regarding the internship program should be directed by email to the Human Resources Department
Spring Semester – November 1 of prior year
Summer Semester – April 1 of current year
Fall Semester – July 1 of current year
APPLY FOR AN INTERNSHIP
Apply for any internship by sending all information to Human Resources, and make sure to note the department(s) that you are applying to.
Email MUST include each of the following:
- Cover letter of interest, addressed to the contact person (Janelle’s Note: We should include names and email address of contact person(s)), which must include:
- First and second choice of departments
- Statement of your interest in a particular department
- What you can contribute to the department
- What you hope to learn from your experience
- Whether you are willing to accept any placement that matches your skills should your departments of choice be unavailable
- Current resume (including all contact information—home address, email address and telephone number—and work experience)
- College transcript demonstrating academic performance, a minimum of 3.0 overall on a 4.0 scale
- Two letters of reference, including at least one from a college professor
APPLICATION DEADLINES – MATERIALS MUST BE RECEIVED BY:
November 15 for Spring Semester
April 1 for Summer Semester
August 1 for Fall Semester
IMPORTANT NOTE: If your application email is missing any piece of the above information, you will not be considered for that internship.