10th Annual Jimmy V Week to Highlight the V Foundation’s Continuing Work to Defeat Cancer
The V Foundation for Cancer Research, a top-ranked cancer research charity, is excited to announce details regarding the 10th annual Jimmy V Week for Cancer Research, to be held from November 30 to December 9 across ESPN platforms, with additional programming and highlights continuing throughout the month. In sharing survivors’ stories and breakthroughs in cancer research advancements, the fundraising drive will encourage supporters to donate to the V Foundation. Donors may choose to further accelerate research of all types of cancer or to donate directly to the Stuart Scott Memorial Cancer Research Fund. In celebration of its most successful grant-making year to date, the V Foundation will highlight many of its longtime partners throughout Jimmy V Week, including founding partner ESPN.
“As we approach this milestone 10th annual Jimmy V Week, we can simultaneously reflect on the great progress that has been made over the past decade and the important work still to be done,” said John Skipper, ESPN President. “Like so many families, we at ESPN have had too many recent reminders of cancer’s devastating effects, yet we have also been encouraged by how meaningful the advancements in research have been in helping treat this dreadful disease. During V Week, we are able to share great stories of hope and inspiration across our entities, while showcasing the tireless work of the V Foundation and its ongoing impact in this critical fight.”
V Week launches at 7:00 p.m. ET on Wednesday, November 30, when ESPN will dedicate all of its platforms to share inspirational messages from the late Jim Valvano and others, and the week will also include the 10th annual JimmyV Week marquee matchups in the Jimmy V Men’s and Women’s Basketball Classics. This special week will culminate on December 9, highlighted by an NBA doubleheader as well as several NCAA Championship events from FCS Football, Women’s Volleyball and the Men’s College Cup soccer semifinals. The college basketball men’s doubleheader, returning to Madison Square Garden in New York City for the 22nd year on December 6, will feature an exciting opening game between Purdue and Arizona State, followed by a primetime showdown between Florida and Duke. Connecticut will take on Texas in the women’s event, which will be played on December 4, at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Conn.
“V Week is aptly held in the most celebratory time of the year,” said Susan Braun, CEO of the V Foundation. “We celebrate our amazing partners, donors, volunteers and friends, as we reach out to the public to help us reach our goal to declare victory over cancer. Progress is fueling our hope, and funding research is our path to victory.”
Last week, the V Foundation announced it awarded more than $23 million in grants in 2016, its largest financial contribution to cancer research in a single year. During the Jimmy V Men’s Basketball Classic doubleheader, the V Foundation will recognize some of the many partners that have supported their record-breaking year and drive toward victory over cancer. Supporters to be recognized include:
- Constellation Brands Beer Division, a sponsor of the 2016 Jimmy V Classic, will present a $100,000 check to the V Foundation. This check is in addition to the over $1,250,000 raised as part of their annual “Your Corona Gets Us Closer to a Cure” initiative, raising funds in partnership with their distributor network.
- ESPN will present the V Foundation with a $100,000 donation in loving remembrance of John Saunders. One of ESPN’s most visible and versatile commentators, Saunders was a founding board member of the V Foundation and friend of the late Jim Valvano. The donation will be awarded to pediatric cancer research, a cause Saunders was passionate about as a 10-year emcee of the annual Dick Vitale Gala.
- The Goldberg Family, BRCA Foundation and Basser Initiative at the Gray Foundation will make a multi-million dollar challenge to be matched by the V Foundation in 2017. The commitment will fund further study of the breast cancer susceptibility genes BRCA1 and BRCA2.
- Hooters will celebrate another successful “Give a Hoot” month-long fundraising campaign during October in honor of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Hooters will present the V Foundation with a check for more than $500,000.
- Team V, the V Foundation’s official endurance training and fundraising team, in conjunction with New York Road Runners will recognize funds raised through the TCS New York City Marathon. This year, close to 60 Team V runners raised nearly $300,000 for cancer research, including ESPN College Basketball Analyst Andy Katz, who individually raised more than $20,000.
- The WWE, in partnership with the WWE’s Connor’s Cure initiative, will present a check to the V Foundation for $250,000, representing their 2016 fundraising support of pediatric cancer research.
- Stephen Silver Fine Jewelry agreed to become a multi-year sponsor of the V Foundation Wine Celebration earlier this year and will present a check for $125,000 to support cancer research.
With 100% of all direct cash donations benefiting cancer research, the V Foundation has now awarded more than $170 million in cancer research grants. Among the highest-rated nonprofits by Charity Navigator, America’s largest and most-utilized independent evaluator of charities, the V Foundation continues to expand its efforts in the fight against cancer with a strict adherence to sound fiscal management and transparency. The V Foundation has received five consecutive 4-star ratings by Charity Navigator and is among the top 4% of cancer charities and the top 6% of all charities evaluated.
Featured March 1st
The V Foundation Introduces March Fundraisers to Accelerate Victory over CancerRead More
News February 16th
The V Foundation for Cancer Research Announces V University and the ECAC as its First Conference PartnerRead More
News February 7th
Chris Berman, Bob Huggins, Brian Kelly to be Honored at 12th Annual Dick Vitale GalaRead More